Sunday, June 29, 2014

Weekend Getaway

I wanted to have a short getaway with the kids and found lots of fun things to do in Kansas City. It was hard for me to decide what we should do and with all the rain we've had I needed to have an indoor plan as well. It turned out to be a hot, but dry, weekend and we had some fun!

On Friday we visited a children's farmstead. The kids mined for rocks, milked pretend cows (buckets), saw real cows with their calves, fed goats and geese, went on a wagon ride, watched a blacksmith, visited an old schoolhouse, bank and barbershop, rode pedal tractors, played on the playground, and saw some birds- owls, bald eagle, hawks. After all that fun we were ready to relax in our hotel for a bit before going out to dinner. After dinner we got the kids ready for bed and watched movies.

Saturday morning we took the kids swimming in the hotel pool and decided to cancel my original plans and just take the kids to a park before going back home. There were many reasons we changed plans, but the main one was the kids were TIRED from Friday and we didn't want to drag tired kids around. They had a blast at the park and were sad when our getaway was over. I'm glad we got to spend a little time away as a family and that we were able to do some fun things together.

We also got to eat at Oklahoma Joes BBQ, which Pete has wanted to do since we moved here. After waiting in line for an hour and 20 minutes we got to eat some delicious BBQ! The kids wanted hot dogs, but after waiting that long I was more than happy to get them a hot dog.

Also, yes Henry is wearing jeans. I told him it would be hot (in the 90s), but he really wanted to wear pants and not shorts. Not sure why he wanted to, but I let him. 



The pedal tractors were really hard to pedal

Anne was brave enough to sit in the barber chair

The kids and Pete thought this tractor was cool


Maes turn to play
Driving a bus at the park

Loved the purple dinosaur

Fun in the swing
Even I had some fun spinning around on this (and then had to sit on the bench for a few minutes)



No comments:

Post a Comment