Thursday, October 7, 2010

Henry update

Henry is keeping me busy these days and I haven't been doing a good job taking pictures lately, but here is a quick update on the adventures of curious Henry.

His first crush is Madelyn. Henry loves to give her hugs and thinks she's very funny. She's a little bit younger and so his hugs often knock her off her feet so I'm trying to teach him that a hug is different from a tackle. The feeling is mutual since she apparently only cries going into her car seat when she's leaving Henry behind.

Henry loves to take walks where he is the one walking. I usually take the stroller so that when he gets tired he has a place to go, but sometimes I just carry him home and count it as good exercise for me. A few days ago Henry shocked me by walking the entire way to the library, which is about a half mile. It took us a really long time because we stop and look at everything along the way, but I couldn't believe he didn't get tired. I did make him ride in the stroller on the way home so that I would have time to make dinner.

He loves to find and carry around treasures that he finds outside. Pine cones, chestnuts, leaves, and other things from trees that I can't identify. He'll carry them around and not want to lose them when he picks up another item. I'm not sure what features he looks for in a leaf because some really impress him while others don't. He has also discovered shadows, but doesn't really understand what they are and I failed in my attempts to show him what it was.

His nursery teacher at church has told Pete and I that and I quote here, 'Henry can really put away the groceries'. This just made us laugh and we hope that he is getting recognized for more than just his appetite.

Henry loves pockets and I still keep forgetting to check them before I do the laundry. I'm not sure how many rocks, leaves, and acorns it'll take before I learn.

He has added the letters Q and H to his knowledge (most of the time) and is thrilled every time he finds a Q, which is more than you think when someone in your town with a Q last name is running for office. He thinks u, m and w are all the same thing and calls them 'double'.

He loves 'hats'. He'll put anything on his head and call it a hat. Sometimes this is funny, like if the hat is a laundry basket or diaper box. Sometimes it's not as funny, like when it's a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He loves that his fall coat has a hood on it and wants it on even in his car seat.

We got the movie, 'It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown' from the library and Henry found Snoopy very funny. He also loves to see the pumpkins that are showing up around town and enjoyed some pumpkin chocolate chip bread that I made. I've promised him we can get a pumpkin as it gets closer to Halloween and I'm planning on going to a pumpkin patch, but Henry enjoys seeing the mounds of pumpkins at the stores around town. He also is trying to figure out what all the decorations are.

He uses the phrase, 'One more time, k?' whenever he wants to do something, but I don't think he really understands what it means. Apparently I say it too much and am working on not using this phrase as much.

1 comment:

  1. I totally approve of Henry's choice of a wife. Then we could be family!

    ReplyDelete