Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mom School

Henry really wants to go to school because the neighbor boys that he likes to play with are older and go to school so they aren't home during the day. He was asking about school a lot, so I decided to enroll him in Mom School. I really like Mom School because it gives me and Henry something special to do during the day. It also gives me the opportunity to relearn things that I once knew but have forgotten and I'm hoping that Henry will not stump me as frequently with the questions he asks me. There are also a lot of advantages to Mom School, like we can cancel if we feel like it and we can change the activities to whatever we feel like doing.

I try to work with him on numbers, letters, and shapes most days. He really is not a numbers boy so he often doesn't want to do anything with them so I have to sneak it in in other ways. Then we have a fun topic to learn about. The first topic we did was bones. I got some books from the library and we would read them and talk about our bones. The big activity that we did was tracing Henry on some paper and drawing his bones in. It was quite challenging to trace him, but he loves the picture and has it hanging in his room. He was also waiting around all day for Dad to come home so that Henry could trace him on the paper. Henry learned what ribs are, that the knee is also called the patella, that your bone face is missing eyes and nose, and that your bone body is called a skeleton. Doing this activity at this time of year has been extra fun for Henry because he sees lots of skeletons around town and in stores.

We are currently trying to learn about seasons. We went on a leaf walk with a friend, but they just rode bikes and played instead. So, I collected some leaves and was going to talk to Henry about them, shapes, sizes, colors and do an activity with them. Well, the activity that Henry wanted to do was crumple the leaves into pieces on the carpet and then get to vacuum them up. So, I'm not sure how much he's learned about the season of autumn other than the leaves are falling down and soon the trees will be bare.

I'm not sure what we'll learn about next, but it's bound to be a learning experience for both of us!

1 comment:

  1. Mom School is ADORABLE! I love it. I didn't call it that, but we did lots of similar things. Except the bone thing - that's a good one. I should try that one for Eli. Eli is over 2 and I haven't done near as much with his learning as I did with the other two. I feel guilty, but at least he knows about half the alphabet and all the colors. Plus, he's got more street smarts, due to being the 3rd child.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete