In April we were able to go hiking at Pershing State Park. It was a really fun trip. They have a boardwalk trail with signs along the way to learn about the wetlands and prairie. The kids did great and it was just great to get out and see something new. There were warnings about snakes, but I figured we wouldn't actually see any. Henry was the first to spot a roughly 4 ft snake crossing over the boardwalk in front of us. I told the kids to stop and let the snake keep moving. Once the snake was back in the grass we starting walking again. The snake did freeze and make a warning sound, but we kept moving and then it went away. I think I did a great job staying calm through it all when inside I was not at all calm. Also, at the very end of our trail I found a baby snake. It didn't scare me at all and when I took a picture of it Henry made a comment about how we didn't get a picture of the first snake.
Pete and Henry also went on another short trail (about 1/3 mile) and had fun together while the girls rested in the car.
I'm looking forward to more state park adventures this year and hope to see fewer snakes at our next park!
| At the top of the observation tower - Mae had to be restrained |
| My three little hikers |
| Baby snake |
No comments:
Post a Comment