Anne broke her arm one night early in August. The kids were running around, being crazy in the basement while I was cooking dinner. Anne came upstairs and was hysterical. I had no idea what she has trying to say and told her to lay down in her bed until she calmed down. When I finished cooking dinner, I went in to check on her and realized her arm was very swollen. She still couldn't tell me what had happened, but didn't want to move her arm and didn't want to eat. When Pete came home she told him her arm, as well as, her head to her toes hurt- making it difficult to figure out what happened. After giving her many choices for something to eat; she finally agreed to eat some peanut butter crackers and fruit snacks. In the morning she still didn't want to move her arm and said it hurt to hold her toast. I called the pediatrician and asked where the best place was to get x-rays without going to the ER. I then packed up the kids and headed for urgent care. When we got there, we found out that her arm was broken. She had a buckle fracture in her radius and a non-displaced fracture in her ulna. Thankfully, neither were severe breaks. A follow-up appointment at the orthopedic office was scheduled to get her cast on after the swelling went down.
The orthopedic office trip went well and Anne chose a pink cast. It was a waterproof cast, which is hard, but not as hard as the 'typical' cast. After 3 weeks, we went back to check on things. The x-ray showed that enough healing had taken place that the cast could come off! I was very happy and grateful that it healed so quickly. I meant to get an 'after' picture, but I forgot to. It took a bit for her to adjust back to using her arm more, but over the next few days she used it more and more. We did go to McDonalds for a celebration lunch. Nothing beats a cheeseburger, fries and a healthy dose of ketchup to celebrate.
 |
| Pretty in pink |
No comments:
Post a Comment