Friday, July 15, 2011

Garden Experiment

This summer we rented a garden plot through the city and are using it is a teaching/learning experience. I don't know much about gardening so I've been learning as we go and we've been trying to teach Henry some things too. We planted a little bit of everything; tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, sweet corn, and pumpkins. The two things I've learned so far are that grass grows really, really well and there's not much you can do about deer (at least we weren't willing to do too much to prevent them). Even though we've faced some challenges this week we found that tomatoes, cucumber and zucchini are all starting to grow. The squash don't look great yet, but we're hoping they will start to grow soon. Pete and I love spaghetti squash and are hoping to get some good ones.
This picture was taken after 2 weeks of vacation and you can clearly see the challenge we're having with the grass. Pete has been great at weeding and keeping it at bay so that our food can grow. The hoe is courtesy of our fearless helper, Henry.

The last time we went to the garden we found that the deer had chewed down our corn, so we are no longer expecting any sweet corn. Although this was disappointing, we were able to pick our first batch of zucchini and one cucumber. The cucumber was delicious and I can't wait to go back and get more food.
Overall it has been a good experience for us and Henry really enjoys going to the garden and knows where to look for food growing and will show me what he finds. He is also waiting for the tomatoes to turn red.

No comments:

Post a Comment